UPDATE ON THE SITUATION – Joe Biden announced that an agreement to release hostages held in Gaza, accompanied by a pause “at least six weeks” in the hostilities between Israel and Hamas, was currently under discussion.
Paris evacuated 42 people from the Gaza Strip, Joe Biden announces a pause “at least 6 weeks” in Gaza is under discussion, two Israeli hostages released in Rafah… Le Figaro takes stock of the situation on the war between Israel and Hamas.
Joe Biden announces that a break of “at least 6 weeks” in Gaza is under discussion
Joe Biden announced on Monday that an agreement to release hostages held in Gaza, accompanied by a pause “at least six weeks” in the hostilities between Israel and Hamas, was currently under discussion. The American president, repeating the warning already issued several times by his administration, also indicated that he “had to protect” Palestinian civilians in Rafah in the event of an Israeli offensive on this town in the south of the enclave.
“We need a lasting ceasefire immediately” in Gaza, demands the King of Jordan
The King of Jordan Abdullah IIduring a joint address with Joe Biden at the White House, said Monday that he “a lasting ceasefire was needed immediately” in Gaza. “We cannot afford an Israeli attack on Rafah. This would undoubtedly cause another humanitarian catastrophe.the sovereign also said, adding that “the situation was already unbearable for more than a million people who have been pushed towards (this city in the south of the Gaza Strip) since the war began”.
Paris has evacuated 42 people from Gaza, announces the Quai d’Orsay
France announced Monday evening that it was able to evacuate 42 people from the Gaza Strip, French nationals, French residents or collaborators of the French Institute, with members of their families. “At the request of France, 42 people were able to leave the Gaza Strip today, through the Rafah crossing point”indicates a press release from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. “This brings to more than two hundred the number of people evacuated from Gaza at the request of France”.
This announcement comes a few days after the death of a French teacher who had collaborated for twenty years with the French Institute in Gaza, who died of illness due to lack of treatment due to “catastrophic health conditions” on site, diplomatic sources told AFP on Friday. The ministry emphasizes that the evacuation announced Monday is “the result of the actions of the French authorities, carried out at the highest level”.
The evacuees were taken care of on the Egyptian side by the French Embassy and the Consulate General of France in Cairo, in coordination with teams from the Crisis and Support Center of the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.
Prospect of Rafah offensive ‘terrifying’, says UN
The prospect of a “true” offensive by the Israeli army in Rafah, in the far south of the Gaza Strip, where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have taken refuge, is “terrifying”said the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. “Given the carnage that has taken place so far in Gaza, we can only imagine what will happen in Rafah”was alarmed Volker Türk, in a press release.
A deal on hostages in Gaza, with “huge” benefits, remains “possible”, according to Washington
An agreement between Israel and Hamas, allowing the release of hostages in Gaza in exchange for a pause in fighting, remains “possible” according to the State Department, which insisted Monday on the benefits “huge” what such an agreement would have. “We believe that the benefits of a pause and a hostage agreement would be enormous, first obviously for the hostages who would be released but also for the humanitarian operation in Gaza, as well as for our ability to begin searching a real, viable and lasting solution to this conflict”declared American diplomacy spokesperson Matthew Miller.
US urges Israel to investigate death of six-year-old girl in Gaza
Washington asked Israel for an investigation “urgent” on death “heartbreaking” of Hind Rajab, a six-year-old girl found dead in the Gaza Strip after calling for help for hours, a spokesperson for American diplomacy said on Monday. “We have called on the Israeli authorities to urgently investigate this incident.Matthew Miller told the media. “This is a heartbreaking, heartbreaking story for this child and of course there have been thousands of other children who have died because of this conflict”.
Washington opposed to “large-scale” Israeli offensive in Rafah
The United States remains opposed to a large-scale Israeli military operation in Rafah without action to protect civilians in this Palestinian town on the border with Egypt, State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said Monday. . “Without a project in this sense which is credible, and which they (Israel, Editor’s note) are able to carry out, we do not support a large-scale military operation”he told journalists.
ICC prosecutor says he is “deeply concerned” about an offensive in Rafah
The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Karim Khan expressed concern on Monday about a possible offensive by the Israeli army in Rafah, in the Gaza Strip, warning that anyone who violates international laws will be prosecuted. “I am deeply concerned by reports of the bombing and a potential ground offensive by Israeli forces in Rafah,” Mr. Khan said in a statement published on X.
Two hostages released in Rafah, around a hundred Palestinians killed according to Hamas
Israel announced early Monday February 12 the release of two hostages held in Rafah, as part of a vast nighttime operation that left around a hundred Palestinians dead, according to Hamas in power in this territory. Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Louis Har, 70, were freed during a nighttime operation in Rafah carried out jointly by the army, the Shin Beth (Internal Security) and the Israeli police, these services said, specifying that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other officials had followed the progress of this operation from the control room. “Three terrorists were killed in the building where they were detained”according to an initial assessment by the Israeli army, which had previously limited itself to confirming that it had “carried out a series of raids against terrorist targets in the southern Gaza Strip”.
The two hostages, having Israeli and Argentinian nationality and kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Yitzhak, were then airlifted to Sheba Hospital, located in Ramat Gan, near Tel-Aviv, where they “are in a stable condition”, assured Arnon Afek, the director of the establishment. In a post on Xthe office of Argentine President Javier Milei expressed “his gratitude” to the Israeli army for the release of the hostages.